Feed the birds...

I've never been more relieved to see my front door yesterday.  The snow finally arrived yesterday, although by Scottish standards it was rather feeble.  Having seen gargantuan drifts across the road on the television, I was rather disappointed to see the Oxfordshire version.  My heart on my hessian front door mat was no longer visible and my garden windmill (left over from the summer's strawberries) was going round so fast that it could have powered up forty two electrical radiators.  

Steeling myself for a woofer walk, I basically just added more clothing, and went for it.  Oh Lordy, it was cold.  Now I've been to Russia in the winter, but this horizontal snow, travelling at breakneck speed knocked the Russian weather into a cocked Cossack hat.  We lasted around half an hour before I turned back for home.  The dogs, who by now were resembling a couple of undernourished polar bears looked at me as if to say it was about bloody time, and the three of us were very pleased to get back into the warm house.

Now I am a bit of a softie where wildlife is concerned, and sadly, I came across three dead birds yesterday.  Obviously the cold and the lack of available food had just proved too much for them.  I had taken some carrots over for the deer and rabbits which I sometimes see on my walk, but it was a scrawny little robin who made my day yesterday. Walking round the field with the boys, he'd followed me round, and digging around in one of my Tardis pockets (you'd be amazed what I find in there) I pulled out a dog biscuit.  Crumbling it up, I threw it down onto the path, and watched as the little chap hoovered it up.  Well that gave me a lovely fuzzy feeling, and when I got home, I scavenged all of the odd ends of cheese from the fridge and grated them to put out on the bird table.

There were a lot of happy diners in my garden yesterday afternoon.

These included the two furballs who realised that grated cheese and a stiff wind are the perfect combination for impromptu snacks.

A lesson learned...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...