Driving home for Christmas...

And breathe....

Yesterday was spent running around the Home Counties like a Duracell Bunny who's been eating Skittles all morning.  There's always the most bizarre things left on the shopping list as you get nearer to Christmas Day, and mine was no different yesterday.  

I'd collected the Mother from her home and drove her down to Marlow for our usual Saturday breakfast,  We were a bit thin on the ground yesterday as Miss R is still in Asia (working her way round various tourist spots with a beer in hand) and Mrs Jangles has headed off to the fleshpots of Woolacombe where my cousin lives. But there were four of us in the end, as the Father and his partner Miss G turned up.  

Having drunk the obligatory lukewarm coffee, and burnt my fingers on the plate my pastry was served on (I think the chef uses a flame thrower to warm up the plates - pity he cant use it on the coffee, but hey, you can't have it all) the Mother then schlepped around Marlow with me as I ticked off the weird and wonderful items on my hastily scribbled list:

Painkillers - obviously, these are alcohol's favourite bedfellow, so you can never have enough
Lemons - I had already bought these but had used them in the Lemon Drizzle Bake Off the day before, so desperate was I to win
Book - Last minute present. Not the one I wanted, but a good substitute
Cards -it's daughter number two's  birthday just after Christmas, so I have to be prepared
Reading glasses - down to three pairs, so action was required to avoid roasting one of the dogs instead of the turkey
Sherbet Fountains - don't ask

So with all that done, I'm nearly there.  The kids have started coming back to the homestead, and my sister in law, Mrs W and her beau, the wonderful Mr W are due here later today.

I can't promise that there will be any ramblings over the next three days, but rest assured, like you, I will be folding my loved ones close to my heart, and doing a re-run of the same old traditions which we all do, year in and year out.

Thank you for coming along with me on the crazy ride which is 'Words from a Bird'. It's been great getting to know some of you better, and I'm sure that 2018 will be as daft as this year has been. 

I hope that you all have the most fabulous Christmas with your families and loved ones.  I'll see you all on the other side, when we're all fatter and poorer.

But with any luck, we'll all manage to feel just a little bit of that Christmas magic.

Much love....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...