Too much...

I may allow myself some food later today.

After Sunday's lunch, I questioned whether I would ever need to eat again, and if I ever did, it would be just water and dust.  And the reason behind my gluttony?  My family is to blame.  Not the ones who tend to tip up here every now again claiming that their washing machine doesn't work and they haven't eaten for a week.  These are older family.  The type you grow up with and spend huge family holidays with.  The ones you spend Boxing Day with.  As you get older, the times between seeing each other get longer and longer, until one day, you all realise that the only times you really see each other is when someone shuffles off this mortal coil.  And that's not good.

When my lovely uncle died several weeks ago, my two cousins, Miss R and I made a promise to each other that we would try and rekindle that lovely childhood relationship we'd had, and try and meet up more frequently than in a church once a year.

Sunday was the first attempt at getting us all together, and we headed up the M25 to where my cousin lived with his wife and two boys.  We had collected Miss R on the way through, and however many times she told the husband that forty minutes was enough time to get there, the husband insisted on putting a small extension onto the journey time 'just in case'.  We were, therefore, half an hour early, so found ourselves in a small local hostelry having a swift one before going off to my cousin's house.

The landlord looked like he'd been to the Jack Dee School of Charm, such was his witty banter and repartee.  (This is sarcasm.  He wouldn't look any of us in the eye and merely said, '£8.52'.  Not even a 'please' or 'thank you').

Drinks drunk we drove up to my cousin's house and had the most amazing afternoon getting to know each other as friends, rather than just the cousins who bump into each other every now and again.

And here's where we get to the food.

Roast rib of beef, with every accompaniment know to man, including the best roasties ever, followed by apple and blackberry crumble, and then another portion of crumble. I'm not too sure why I felt that was a wise life choice, buy hey, there was alcohol also involved.  I should at this point say that in the car on the way up, Miss R asked that I remind her that she shouldn't drink too much at lunch.  Well that particular ship had sailed within fifteen minutes of our arrival so she was very quiet when we finally dragged ourselves away.

I had to undo my trousers on the way home.

Not sure they'll be making another appearance for some time yet..





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...