Sunny afternoon...

I don't know about where you live, but yesterday afternoon was absolutely gorgeous round here.  I had decided that as the dogs had been to the groomers on Monday, the last thing I wanted was to traipse through a muddy wood, so I took them over the road where my allotment is and had a walk around the paths and woodland which surround it.  

Finding myself in a quiet patch, I decided that I would do something I've never done before, and I spread my jacket on the grass and sat down, with a view to pointing my mush up to the sun for some much needed vitamin D.  It's not like I had jobs waiting for me at home or anything now the offspring have done an Elvis and left the building taking Mother Guilt with them.  I had anticipated that the dogs would wander off and explore as they rarely stray from the path, so shutting my eyes, I said to them, 'Off you go then'.  Here's what happened...

Reg
'What on erf is she doin'?'  (If you remember, Reg, although of German descent, has adopted a pseudo Brentwood accent)

Percy
'I have absolutely no idea, my dear fellow'. (Imagine a 1949 news reader)

Reg
'Is she dead?  Oo's gonna feed us now?  'Ow will we find our way 'ome? Can you reach the treat cupboard Percy?'

Percy
'She's not dead, my dear chap, just snoozing.  Let's go and explore those rabbit burrows over there'.

Reg
'Bugger that.....let's see if we can find any treats in 'er pockets'.

This was their cue for some serious navigation around my coat pockets followed by some delightful wet nose activity around my face.  Shooing them away, I told them to go away and have some fun.

Reg
'Come on then Percy, you old fossil, let's go and 'ave a look at what's on the uvver side of the parf'.

So the two of them ventured a whole three feet away from me, had a cursory sniff of a rabbit burrow, and then toddled back and snuggled in with me on my coat.

After ten minutes of lying there in the blazing sunshine, with the equivalent of a hot water bottle and an electric blanket wrapped around me, I finally gave up.

It reminded me of having a pee in peace with the door closed when the kids were young.  

I don't think I went between 1994 and 1998...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...