Sunny...

It's been a tough old week this week, so what better way to cheer this old Bird up than a secret squirrel mission which I knew would put a smile on the face of someone I loved.

It was Miss R's birthday yesterday you see, and she had decided that with her close friend Signora C (she's of Italian persuasion and ever so glamorous), they would cycle around the Isle of Wight to celebrate.  Before you start wondering whether my sister had lost her middle aged marbles, I should point out that she is super fit and capable of cycling up, climbing over, skiing down and walking round any obstacle you could put in her path.

Now I have never not seen Miss R on her birthday, so a quick phone call was made to Signora C asking if the husband and I could gatecrash their trip, tying in with them for lunch somewhere.  She very kindly said yes, so we started planning.

The husband and I left home yesterday morning, planning a gentle drive down to the Ferry at Southampton with maybe a breakfast stop en route.  What actually happened was that I left my phone at home, so we had to turn round and come back, and start our journey again.  There was now no time for breakfast, no time for a coffee, and also, I am ashamed to say, no time for speed limits.  Driving my Mini like he'd stolen it, the husband finally made the ferry terminal with exactly seven minutes to spare.

It is common knowledge in my family that me and the sea are not good friends.  I don't like being in it because there's things in there with teeth, and I don't like being on it because I get seasick.  But not to worry.  Yesterday the sea was as smooth as a snooker table so armed with a coffee and a sticky bun, it all went rather well.

In fact, everything went exactly to plan.  We managed to get to the pub where the intrepid cyclists had stopped, and the husband and I hid behind a fence while the two of them (wearing tutus and floral bikinis for some reason) settled down. Sneaking up behind Miss R, the husband and I performed a rousing version of Happy Birthday much to the well disguised joy of all the other people in the pub.  There were a few tears, but she was thrilled skinny which was great.

But eventually, the two of them had to get back on their bikes and leave us to our local cider and crab sandwiches. The husband and I then did what we always do anywhere near the sea.  Two sunbeds and a snooze in the beautiful sunshine.

Which is why I am now sporting a face colour which can only really be described as claret. Thankfully,  I managed to locate the Aloe Vera so smothered myself with that in the hope in hope that it might calm my face down to a dull roar.

It didn't...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...