Bag lady...

By yesterday morning, despite slathering my face with Aloe Vera every ten minutes, I still resembled a Swan Vesta much to the husband's amusement.  There's only one saving grace, and that was that I hadn't worn my sunglasses when asleep.  Unlike the husband who looked like he'd just returned from a week's skiing.  Not to worry though.  In a few weeks, we'll both be pink/red/mahogany/peeling, depending on which day you see us.

Those of you who have been with me for a while will know that this year's allotment adventures have all been about doom, gloom and thrice planted runner beans, so it was with trepidation that I headed over there yesterday morning to see what had happened after all that rain and two days' of sunshine.  I had put my shorts and a t-shirt on, as I was under the impression that the husband was walking the dogs yesterday morning.  

Now why would I think that?  Well possibly because when I was finishing the week's ironing at around 9.30 yesterday, he was trundled downstairs after an epic lie in, and said, and I quote, 'I'll walk the dogs this morning'.  So you see why I was a bit bewildered when he disappeared into his office.  Fast forward to 11.00, and he's still in there and the two fuzzballs are sitting by the front door with their legs crossed and eyes watering. Snatching up the lead, and donning my wellies (not a good look), I headed over to the allotment with the dogs.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised.  Nothing had died, fallen over, been eaten or withered. In fact, the corn on the cobs were flourishing and the runner beans were running (eventually), but it was the tomatoes which brought the biggest smile to my face.  

There were loads of them.  I had planted cherry, plum and beef tomatoes and all were offering up some sort of fruit. I only had dog poop bags on me, so filled one up with tomatoes and then headed out to the field where the dogs could run.  I then filled another bag with blackberries and one more with a few plums.  

The dogs had a lovely scoot round, and after they did the honours, I had two more bags to carry.

Crossing the road back into my estate, one of my neighbours stopped me for a chat.  I could see him looking at the full bags I was holding, and he looked at my two small dogs and then back at the bags. Seeing his confusion, I explained that I'd been picking some of my homegrown produce and I proudly thrust the tomatoes under his nose for a peek. 'I need to be careful though', I said, gesturing to the other two bags attached to the lead.  'I don't want to mix up my produce with their through-put..'

He laughed (rather too politely) and I carried on walking home.  Another neighbour was in her garden and seeing me approach, she wandered over for a chat.

'Been away have you?'  

Why yes, I have.   

For around 4 hours....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...