Life is a lemon, and I want my money back...

You'll be pleased to know that despite four sleeping policemen, one mini roundabout and copious potholes, my cake arrived at Binland in one piece, with even the large body part remaining firmly attached.  Once handed over to my friend, I was free of any responsibility, and when my friend asked me what to do if it fell off on her journey home, I went all Madagascan penguin on her and said 'Spit and stick my friend, spit and stick'.  I'm looking forward to seeing the birthday boy next week after his surprise party...he hasn't got a clue....

So ELL (son number two's glorious girlfriend) returned home yesterday after much soul-searching.  She's very similar to him in that she loves home and family more than university life.  To see them together yesterday afternoon was like turning the clock back.  There was a lot of ribbing and laughing, but more importantly, as Reg Presley of the Troggs would say (Marti Pellow of Wet, Wet, Wet if you're younger than 35) 'Love is all around'.  These two just seem to fit and to see them happy again makes me smile. 

Son number one continues to mend in the thumb department.  I'm not saying that personal appearance is important to him, but a message popped up from him yesterday asking us to buy a different sling, as he wasn't too keen on the purple one which the NHS had supplied him with FREE OF CHARGE.  I think he should have kept the purple one as it would have co-ordinated beautifully with the black eye he'll get if he asks to use my Amazon Prime account again. 

So life starts to calm down once again.  I sometimes feel that I am on a bungee rope, with that lull just as you are whipped back into the sky again, before plummeting down to earth once more.  But such is the lot of a parent.  It seems that every Monday I say to the husband, that maybe this week will be the one when it all calms down.  This optimism usually lasts till Tuesday lunchtime when one of the ankle biters will call with any one of the following...

I'm leaving university...

I've fallen out with...(insert friend/lover/sibling as appropriate)

I have no money and can't feed myself (unless you count cheap booze as a food group)

I've broken/torn my... (so far we've had arm, ligaments, tendons, thumb, collar bone - this phone call normally comes at around 10.00pm just as we're getting into bed)

My car needs an MOT but I don't have time to do it (guess what, neither do I...)

Can you proof read my dissertation (fine, but could do with more warning that twenty four hours before submission)

But now that three of the offspring are gainfully employed, with just son number one still in education, albeit with a purple-soon-to-be-black-sling, we seem to be entering a calmer phase, which I hope will here for some time.

Who am I kidding...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...