Blowing in the wind...

Words from a Bird.  Day 90

So the husband dolefully returned to work today, each side of his trousers' waistband not quite on talking terms with the other.  If only he'd listened to me last night....

I was back to work as well, and after four days of washing, ironing, cooking and nagging, the sanity was most welcome.  The reason that I had so much to do was that daughter number 2 had returned from a week's skiing, kindly handing over her suitcase at the front door.  I never complain about skiing holiday cases, as once you have taken out the salopettes, ski jacket and thermals, the weight limit dictates that there's not much left for anything else.  To get round this, I think that both daughters wear as much clothing as possible on the plane to release valuable case space to shoes and make-up.

Going back to daughter number 2's suitcase, in all fairness, she did put the dirty clothes into the washing machine, but there is where her input ground to a complete halt.  As we all know, it is here that the Washing Fairy takes over, waving her magic wand over the grimy socks, sprinkling fairy dust over the grey collared shirts, and finally washing, drying and ironing the whole bloody lot at the expense of her own fragile sanity...

Son number 1 walked through the front door about 24 hours before daughter number 2 with what looked like three weeks of dirty washing. His linen basket looks quite small from the outside, and how he crams so much in there is beyond me.  It's a skill, and probably involves many hours of practised crumpling to achieve.  I have rechristened it 'The Tardis'.  It is the gift which just keeps giving (said through teeth gritted so hard, that three fillings threw themselves on the mercy of the dentist).

So you see, lots of washing.  Unfortunately, I only have drying space for one load at a time, which means that my ground floor takes on the appearance of a U-Washee Chinese laundry, and the windows all steam up which the neighbours can find unsettling.

I'm thinking of buying one of those airers which you can use for drying clothes.  I was at Homebase yesterday (that husband of mine sure knows how to spoil a girl) and bought a new one for my sister.  Hers is broken, a combination of a wet path, a heavy basket and possibly a drink or three.  The end result was something resembling a failed Cat's Cradle, so I offered to get her one while I was there.

Never underestimate how dangerous it is to carry a plastic-wrapped, folded airer in a 70mph wind whilst clutching a potted plant and thirty coat hangers. I almost took off twice, and having reached the arranged 'wife collection spot' resorted to using it as a windbreak.

I'm surprised I'm here at all...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...