It's a mystery...

Words from a Bird.  Day 44

Since Monday night's tea towel debacle, sleep has been restricted to the odd 5 or 10 minutes here and there.  This is because as my rib snapped, a one tonne medicine ball took residence under my left armpit.  Now this is quite happy all the time I am sitting quietly, regulating my breathing and playing the adult version of Sleeping Tigers.  But the minute I start moving around, it's like shaking a giant pinball machine, with the ball rolling around battering various internal organs.  The ball particularly likes it when I lie down on my side in a feeble attempt to sleep.  Do you remember that Christmas cracker game, where you had to balance a tiny ball bearing into a very shallow hole?  Well, that's what it feels like.  My poor dented ribs allow the ball to sit quite beautifully, squishing everything on the left to anywhere on the right.  This means no sleep. 

A return trip to A&E was on the cards today, with more x-rays confirming the broken rib.  Stronger pain killers to guarantee a night's sleep were dished out.  I might take two and go straight through till Tuesday, there's so much sleep to catch up on and anyway, the weather looks rubbish for the weekend...

One of the better things about being sofa-bound is that I get visitors.  Some bring two course meals for the men in my house, others walk the dog or do my washing, others simply come for a chat.  All of them however, have one thing in common.  For some reason, they all want to make me a cup of tea as soon as they arrive, and then one every 20 minutes of their visit, even making sure that I have one 'before they go'.   Now I love tea, but by the time my visitors leave, my medicine ball is sporting a rubber ring and a snorkel, sloshing around happily in a sea of PG, and I am calculating whether I will be able to make it to the loo in time before the next visitor arrives.  But they mean well, I'm sure, and it's lovely to feel looked after.

So I have high hopes for sleep tonight - quite weird to be excited about something that I will have no recollection of whatsoever in the morning. 

It reminds me of a few nights out with my sister...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...