We are family..

Words from a Bird...Day 10

I won the lottery last night.  Now, before you all reach for your pens/keyboards to construct a thoughtfully worded begging letter, it wasn't that lottery.  No, it was my nephew's birthday, and it was celebrated with style in an Italian restaurant (sounding all a bit Billy Joel there) in Virginia Water.

This had been secretly arranged by his beautiful girlfriend, and it was odd going to a family celebration that my sister or I hadn't organised.  Those of you that know us both will obviously be nodding right now, acknowledging are party planning prowess.  In fact, we are both still rather surprised that HRH didn't get in touch in 2012....

So, guests all assembled in restaurant, balloons wafting six feet above the table, celebrating the fact that James was 62 (finally twigged that they needed turning round after the main course) waiting for the guest of honour to turn up, my sister so looking forward to his face as he walked in.  How surprised would he be?  Would he sob tears of joy to see all his wonderful friends and family in one room?  Well no actually, because the only people who didn't know it wasn't a surprise were my sister and me. 

She had been telling me all week that James didn't know a thing, and it was going to be a huge shock for him.  Having seen him yesterday morning, I had asked him, trying to continue the subterfuge, what he was doing that night to celebrate his birthday.  Knowing what I now know, it explains the confused look he gave me. 

Now, we could put this down to poor communication.  We could also explain it away as wishful thinking.  However, I am more inclined to think that at respective ages of 50 and 25 (I also turned my balloons round), my sister and I have limited memory capacity.  We need that space to remember far more important stuff, like not wearing our slippers to work, or where we live.

Carrying the balloons down into the bar after dinner, a woman grabbed my arm, and said 'Happy Birthday!  You look great for 62!'  Wasn't too sure how to respond to this, but eventually decided on, "P"** off.  I'm 26, have had 7 children, three husbands and am currently battling a crack cocaine addiction. It's been a hard life......' 

Not withstanding the Surprise Birthday Party not being what it said on the tin, it was a fantastic evening filled with joy, laughter, love and Malbec.  So yes, when I got my loopy family, I definitely won the lottery.

(PS...I did win a free Lucky Dip...does that count?)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...